Monday, January 5, 2009

Cold with a cold

Woke up this morning with a little bit of a cold, but not too bad, so it's really not a big deal.

But the weather is quite cold, and today it is sprinkling out so you have 40 degree rainy weather. Miserable.

Today I had my first set of "final exams." I had the students in each class work in groups and do a presentation in English on a city they'd like to visit, talking about the people, the culture, the food, things they'd like to do, etc.

It went pretty well, though I guess some of them weren't clear that for each group they should talk about one city. Some groups had each person talk about a different city. After looking back at what I wrote down for my requirements, it seems I wasn't explicitly clear, so as long as they had good information, pronunciation, and grammar, I didn't count off any points for that.

Something funny happened when the other foreign kids and I went out for dinner last week. We were talking and I had mentioned that the previous week, due to it being cold, me being lazy, and it being Christmas-time, I skipped the gym completely that week.

Ellis then mentioned that she hadn't been in a couple weeks, and that she Would go but that she "couldn't handle the stairs."

After hearing her say this, I was thinking in my head "I know we live on the 6th floor, but jeez, I didn't think it was that big a deal." After a couple of us didn't respond, she said, "It's just really annoying when at the gym and on the bus everyone is looking at me all the time."

She said she couldn't handle the "stares," haha.

(FYI: They stare because they don't often see a tall American female in Huzhou.)

1 comment:

  1. take care of yourself cuz u don't have "insurance".
    Where there any cities that were more prominent in what they wanted to visit? That is a neat idea. Good teaching, TJ! AND you got more than u bargained for with the individual cities but hey! at least it was informative!! (Any cities that YOU might want to visit when u get back?!)
    Take care.

    Ma

    ReplyDelete